RE: CONFIG_IA64_SPLIT_CACHE was: [Xen-ia64-devel] Console problem on dom

To: "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: CONFIG_IA64_SPLIT_CACHE was: [Xen-ia64-devel] Console problem on domU on tip?
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 05:25:47 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:28:50 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
With CONFIG_IA64_SPLIT_CACHE on, a new user may encounter
the problem on a shipping machine and the symptom is that
the machine immediately crashes when a domU is launched.

With CONFIG_IA64_SPLIT_CACHE off, a developer may encounter
a different problem on an unreleased machine.

I know that you are focused primarily on the unreleased machine,
but in this case, I think we should be cautious for the new user
as the developer knows to change the option when running
on the unreleased machine.

I will spend some more time on this when I have a chance.
I think it is a real bug (probably PAL accessing some address
which isn't pinned) that occurs only on some boxes due
to some factor like memory configuration.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. The debug output just before the crash was:
ia64_fault: General Exception: IA-64 Reserved Register/Field fault (data
access): reflecting