RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] consoles, iosapics, and device interrupts

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, "Williamson, Alex (Linux Kernel Dev)" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] consoles, iosapics, and device interrupts
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:37:37 -0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:40:32 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Is it possible to have console input routed to Xen
> > through Dom0 via the virtual console?  This of course
> > will be worthless before Xen boots Dom0, or if Dom0 crashes.
> > But there really is limited value for direct console input
> > into Xen except for debugging -- and it is a potentially
> > big security hole.
>
> However, this is how it works now on x86.

I'm not an expert in this area but I think the difference
is that x86 uses legacy interrupts for serial ports so
console input is easier on Xen/x86.  Since many ia64
boxes do not have legacy interrupts for serial ports,
we need to differ from Xen/x86.  If, in order to be
functionally equivalent with Xen/x86, we need to
import huge amounts of ACPI code, I think we should
consider some other alternatives.

Dan