[Xen-ia64-devel] xenlinux now builds completely from -sparse!

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] xenlinux now builds completely from -sparse!
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:13:49 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:11:31 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I completed a set of checkins to xen-ia64-unstable.hg today
that now allows xenlinux to be completely built from the
sparse tree (like x86 does it); no more need for a separate
xenlinux-ia64-2.6.12.hg tree.  This will make it a lot easier
to maintain consistency between xen/ia64 and xenlinux/ia64 as
there were increasingly more interdependencies that were
becoming unmanagable.

If you clone the latest

http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-ia64-unstable.hg

(cset >= 7032), you should be able to do "make" from
the root of the hg tree and xen will be build in the
xen directory and "vmlinux" will be built in the
linux-2.6.12-xen0 directory.

Caveat! Because there are still some x86-isms in various
core files and because not all of the xen drivers have
(ever) run on Xen/ia64, there are a few ugly hacks
to make this work.  In particular:

1) Building in an hg tree renders it almost useless for
   development as the build process moves aside several
   directories needed for xenlinux/x86 that break
   xenlinux/ia64.  Mv'ing directories confuses hg so
   "hg diff" will look as if you deleted all of those
   files, and hg commit will delete them!  Work around
   for now is to always "hg clone" to a separate build
   directory.
2) The build process builds dom0 and then dies (no config
   file) when building domU.  That's OK... just as before
   we only need one xenlinux.  In the future, we can take
   advantage of this to build domU different from dom0
   (e.g. for CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED and CONFIG_VT, etc.)
3) The build process only seems to allow one config file.
   The HP zx1 config is checked in right now.  I would
   welcome build patches to make this work better (or a
   generic config file that works for both zx1 and tiger4).
4) The BIG one... after the merge with xen-unstable,
   multiple domains again doesn't work. :-(  I will
   continue on that topic in a subsequent email.

Anyway, feedback appreciated.
Dan