[Xen-ia64-devel] Xen/ia64 code size stats

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen/ia64 code size stats
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:23:22 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:22:30 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I collected some code size information about Xen/ia64 for
a presentation I am doing and thought I would share it with
the list.  All counts are 'wc -l', are "hypervisor only"
(not including tools, drivers, scripts), should be considered
approximate and are subject to change (on a daily basis ;-).
Also note that some features (such as SMP support and migration)
are not implemented yet and will likely add more code.

Total code lines: 83K
 code (.c,.S): 50K
 headers (.h): 33K

Common code (shared with Xen/x86): 19K
New code for ia64: 30K
 of which 12K is for VTI (some of which will be merged)
Linux files 100% leveraged: 15K
 (in 119 files, 100 of which are header files)
Linux files heavily leveraged*: 17K (36 files)
"Nullified" Linux files**: 0K (24 files)

Heavily leveraged (patched) files*:
 - context-diff is 1700 lines
 - approx. 115 individual changes in 36 files
  - largest two changes are 113 lines and 23 lines
  - almost all are "#ifdef XEN add_one_or_two_lines #endif"
 - lines added by patch: 659 (<4%)
 - non-cpp lines added by patch: 382

* Minor changes to Linux files are marked with "ifdef XEN"
  and are entirely additive to minimize effort tracking
  new Linux versions
**Linux header files where none of the contents are used
  but the files are replaced with zero-length files to resolve
  include's by other files.