RE: [Xen-devel] RE: [Patch] Fix IDLE issue with sedf scheduler on IA64

To: "Hollis Blanchard" <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] RE: [Patch] Fix IDLE issue with sedf scheduler on IA64
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:02:25 +0800
Cc: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:01:27 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IDLE
>> to Dom0 without notifying scheduler, may mess the future decision
since
>> next schedule will happen on Dom0's context and base on dom0's
>> statistic
>> info...
>
>See how x86 does this in context_switch() (arch/x86/domain.c). In
>particular, __context_switch is avoided for the idle domain, so the
>context restored is some register pops in ret_from_intr/restore_all_xen
>(arch/x86/x86_32/entry.S).
>
>No scheduler changes or confusion necessary...

What you talked is about the optimization which is the neat way I
prefer, just like Ian suggested to use concept of lazy context switch
instead of eliminating IDLE domain earlier.

But this is not the same point as what Dan is suggesting. Dan is
suggesting to remove IDLE completely, or get IDLE simply an alias for
Dom0. My concern was just raised upon that direction - difficult to
prevent scheduling IDLE (not mean optimization for context switch)
without common scheduler change...

Thanks,
Kevin