[Xen-ia64-devel] RE: vcpu context merge

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: vcpu context merge
From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 07:07:37 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:06:59 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:

> This particular "virtual TR" is critical so might warrant a
> separate hypercall.  I need to ensure that the shared page is
Great! We are same here.
> pinned (in a physical TR) for performance in the guest
It is pinned definitely no matter guest physical TR or guest physical
virtual TR
(physical virtual TR is actually a physical TC but will not be
automatically purged).
> and because I access it with psr.ic off in Xen itself.  (The
Yes, it is pinned so you can use it when vpsr.ic=0.
> physical TR and virtual address could be different but that
> seems like a waste of precious TRs.)
Not sure what you mean here. Guest physical TR is always backed by
machine TC.

> Found it.  See #define get_ctrl_if() in ctrl_if.c (2048 not 1024,
> which is why I couldn't find it).
Why do u think the merge will change this? The major proposal of
structure merge
is to remove parts of guest CR contents into shared VPD that means the
size of share
info is reduced. In this way the merge will make things better than
original one.
Eddie