RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] ia64_monarch_init_handler error

To: "Ricardo A Staudt" <ricardost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] ia64_monarch_init_handler error
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:41:13 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:43:29 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The ia64_monarch_init_handler message can be ignored.  It
happens under some circumstances compiling real Linux/ia64
too.  In the paravirtualized xenlinux/ia64, there are a couple
more similar messages.  All can be ignored.

What hardware are you running on?  Console output from
Xen currently is only known to work on an HP rx26X0 (with no
management card) and a Tiger4 box from Intel (needs compile
flag) and the ski simulator.  Greg Edwards is looking
at making this more general.  (There's a horrible hack now
for console output -- and no console input -- because
I don't know anything about serial I/O and just did enough
to get output to work on my machine :-)  We may get something
working with the HP r26X0 and r1620 via the management
card soon as another temporary hack though.

One other thing to watch out for: Is your machine SMP?
Some problems have been reported on some machines when
two processors are booted.  (Xen/ia64 is currently only
uniprocessor-capable.)  If you see this (and I don't on
my machine, unsure why), the workaround is to disable
the second processor from EFI.

Last, if you are running a Linux built following the
instructions at README.xenia64linux, make sure you
don't forget to run privify.  This step can be avoided
if using/building the xenlinux on bkbits.

Dan