Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen dom0 linux kernel 3.1 boot failure ptwr_emulate:

To: Tobias Heinlein <heinlein@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen dom0 linux kernel 3.1 boot failure ptwr_emulate: could not get_page_from_l1e
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:36:54 -0500
Cc: 2013pfoley@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 08:37:45 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 01:47:15PM +0100, Tobias Heinlein wrote:
> I'm not sure if it was obvious, but yesterday I noticed that setting the
> "MPS table mode" to 'Disabled' actually made SMP stop working, i.e. the
> kernel only recognized a single CPU. This is of course not an option, so
> I enabled (set to 'Full Table APIC') the setting again and played around
> with my kernel config a bit. The kernel that crashed had
> CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE=y, and if I disable that, it boots fine (with SMP,
> and with the BIOS setting set to 'Full Table APIC').

Hm, that is good to know.

> So, I for one am quite happy now as I finally found a working
> configuration. But I'd still like to know if this is a hardware-specific
> issue, and/or a bug in Xen.

Well,.. I think it just that we hadn't touched any machines that
have MP tables instead of ACPI. Or that have fully populated MP tables.
I presume that there are some ACPI tables, but perhaps not the _PRT ones
(which are the ones we need to parse the IRQ data).

But more importantly - how recent is this machine?