[Xen-devel] Re: Need help with fixing the Xen waitqueue feature

To: Andres Lagar-Cavilla <andres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Need help with fixing the Xen waitqueue feature
From: Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 08:09:27 +0100
Cc: keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:10:18 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; t=1320822573; l=1174; s=domk; d=aepfle.de; h=In-Reply-To:Content-Type:MIME-Version:References:Subject:Cc:To:From: Date:X-RZG-CLASS-ID:X-RZG-AUTH; bh=FLMxbi1TvgCoSGMRZzEi/upIHig=; b=LkNcfq/ItYyJGr52CuADgZyI0td3NaHaJtyv6nxjOKsiBFGWcVJ4fUo3ySdF9TcCJh+ bWAN9HI3L2FeZxXSIffM2otSGliY29UH4MLRaq+47rMCqbCKwiMSyfCjNQg//kk3oiLSR yyQSSpU3MxC/Nf1vLKI/2Azd+a78tNwNfvY=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 08, Andres Lagar-Cavilla wrote:

> Tbh, for paging to be effective, we need to be prepared to yield on every
> p2m lookup.

Yes, if a gfn is missing the vcpu should go to sleep rather than
returning -ENOENT to the caller. Only the query part of gfn_to_mfn
should return the p2m paging types.

> Let's compare paging to PoD. They're essentially the same thing: pages
> disappear, and get allocated on the fly when you need them. PoD is a
> highly optimized in-hypervisor optimization that does not need a
> user-space helper -- but the pager could do PoD easily and remove all that
> p2m-pod.c code from the hypervisor.

Perhaps PoD and paging could be merged, I havent had time to study the
PoD code.

> PoD only introduces extraneous side-effects when there is a complete
> absence of memory to allocate pages. The same cannot be said of paging, to
> put it mildly. It returns EINVAL all over the place. Right now, qemu can
> be crashed in a blink by paging out the right gfn.

I have seen qemu crashes when using emulated storage, but havent
debugged them yet. I suspect they were caused by a race between nominate
and evict.

Olaf