[Xen-devel] Re: Regression: patch " hvc_console: display printk messages

To: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Regression: patch " hvc_console: display printk messages on console." causing infinite loop with 3.2-rc0 + Xen.
From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 12:13:09 +1100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, Anton, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, miche@xxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Linus <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Blanchard <anton@xxxxxxxxx>, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Amit Shah <amit.shah@xxxxxxxxxx>, ppc-dev <linuxppc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:14:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Greg,

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:48:06 +0200 Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 01:30:08AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > Hey Miche.
> >
> > The git commit 361162459f62dc0826b82c9690a741a940f457f0:
> >
> >     hvc_console: display printk messages on console.
> >
> > is causing an infinite loop when booting Linux under Xen, as so:
>
> Ick, not good, thanks for letting us know.

Indeed. I am wondering why it was put in a tree and sent to Linus without
any Acks or even being replied to by anyone.  It appeared in the tty tree
between Oct 14 and Oct 25 (while I was unfortunately on vacation).  If
anyone had tried to boot this on any PowerPC server, it would have been
immediately obvious (as it was when I booted Linus' tree last night).

And the original author expressed doubts as to his understanding of how
it should all work anyway.

Just a little more care, please.

I would vote for reverting the original and having it resubmitted with
corrections at some later date.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx