Re: [Xen-devel] [Project Idea]:-Want a guidance for the project

To: Pratik shinde <pracshi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Project Idea]:-Want a guidance for the project
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:02:34 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:09:19 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=e9YpvFA02AoSHz2arD5J4bXgjQVOpo1rKWgFedixQPk=; b=UtU+sHdv8BJpsu571kN9YKgESvu3UF7BCCzBw8VBt9V1Qqyc18oiOZL1qjUFKYxWAr 4FrzMkzsS52nQSUQu24r31YwVtnDgDEShDxd/AcVw8x3tGPsrpEiTepPrSbQolXXQzU+ Qgdgvpu9/g74vHo9/XsGQoYr4rkzQdH5NX0Zo=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Pratik shinde <pracshi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Respected Sir,
>                      I am an undergraduate student from Pune
> University(India).As my last year project we are thinking of implementing
> the co-scheduling in Xen for concurrent jobs depending on the degree of
> concurrency of the domain.
>       Sir, abstract for my project is as:
>
> Abstract---Symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) virtual machine (VMs) allow user
> to take advantage of multiprocessor architecture. Xen current scheduler
> schedules the virtual CPUs (vCPUs) of a virtual machine asynchronously,
> which guarantees the proportion of CPU time corresponding to its weight,
> maximizing the throughput of the system. But the performance may
> deteriorated while executing concurrent applications due to current
> scheduling strategy. To address this problem Yulong Yu et al. proposed
> co-scheduling strategy in which vCPUs of a SMP VM are scheduled
> simultaneously. But this approach causes other problems such as CPU
> fragmentation, priority inversion that degrades I/O performance. Our
> implementation is inspired from the work proposed by Orathai Sukwong et al.
> in Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM) where no two vCPUs are forced to schedule
> simultaneously though they are executing concurrent jobs. Our implementation
> tries to co-schedule concurrent vCPUs depending on the degree of
> co-scheduling of a domain. If degree of co-scheduling of a VM is less than
> some threshold value then vCPUs of a VM are scheduled asynchronously and if
> it is more then all vCPUs are forced to scheduled simultaneously.

> KVM, Balance Scheduling
>
>        Forceful co-scheduling of VM may cause many problems such as CPU
> fragmentation,priority inversion..This scheduling strategy may keep a
> balance.
>
> Sir can you suggest any improvement to this idea.Should I mail you our
> project synopsis?

Just be aware, that schedulers are very difficult to write and modify.
 To write a gang scheduler such as you describe is a very ambitious
project.

 -George