Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 cpu utilisation irregularly distributed

To: Fantu <fantonifabio@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 cpu utilisation irregularly distributed
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 13:41:52 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 13:42:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Domain-0                             0     0     3   -b-  1043377.5 any cpu
> Domain-0                             0     1     2   r--  122083.9 any cpu
> Domain-0                             0     2     0   -b-  284636.1 any cpu
> Domain-0                             0     3     1   -b-   80772.9 any cpu
> Note the increased utilisation on the vcpu 0
>
> Domus cpu utilisation apparently successfully distributed but the dom0 has
> always use more of its vcpu 0
> Is this correct or there are bugs on kernel and/or xen?

VCPU use is entirely up to the guest kernels.  I suspect that cpu0 gets
heavier loading because there are a number of things which end up
running on cpu 0 by default, such as some kernel threads and interrupts.

You can try playing with interrupt migration on dom0 if you like.

But balanced CPU use isn't necessarily a good thing.  The kernel will
generally avoid migrating processes between CPUs needlessly, so unless
you're actually starved for CPU time, I would expect some VCPUs to be
underused compared to others.  It probably just means you've configured
dom0 with too many VCPUs.