Re: [Xen-devel] Monitoring traffic

To: Sarath P R <sarath.amrita@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Monitoring traffic
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:57:03 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:58:27 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=gqDpVCM/ixPul29hFIgRTIwjh4xE7eprQgD4OYQYd58=; b=rtbef82kWqtyxlrU6wJSCM/ylvtieoXb6L3A8jzxEYAIIz/tBdNl6UJzIopgWwSGo5 uoch96uJy7+Dgw1I6XXKMR4rNFdX4SlGEunLM5k4+6hK1x3Jd4kzwv8ymvKDIPnDjimD 34ycNvxKk2rdO5VPXcQVQfTts+5UBg11GdduI=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM, Sarath P R <sarath.amrita@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am new to Xen. as part of my job i need to monitor some traffic. Like a
> packet originates from which VM and all. Any APIs available for this or
> where should i start with. Any help. thanks in advance

Have you looked into tcpdump or wireshark?

I believe that in dom0 there's a different network device for each
virtual network interface (vif).  You could try pointing tcpdump or
wireshark at that vif, or at the xen bridge, and seeing what you get.

 -George