[Xen-devel] Re: netback commit history

http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/ianc/linux-2.6.git;a=summary

> >> I'm asking particularly in the context of us being asked to add a safety
> >> check similar to the vif->netbk != NULL one at the beginning of
> >> xenvif_start_xmit() (also in xenvif_interrupt(), but there we have a
> >> similar check in place), which hadn't been in the legacy tree (obviously)
> >> nor in the original multiple-tasklets patch that I retained a copy of.
> >
> > Seems to have come from bc05ada1283eb583c9789c27429af36b034c4a74 in that
> > history tree and was a conversion from a check for group == -1. That
> > commit changes from storing a group index to a group pointer so I think
> > it's roughly equivalent from a validity point of view.
> >
> > The original group == -1 check appears to be in the 2.6.32.x pvops
> > kernels at least, I expect it is also in the multiple tasklet patch
> > which you have as well?
>
> That's the point - we don't.

Wierd, it is in 020ba9067e121b720a3335521698ea9cf31f6166 in Jeremy's
xen/2.6.32-stable branch which is the original "xen/netback: Multiple
tasklets support." commit. Did you pick up an earlier posting?

I found the original postings
v2: http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg01578.html
v3: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/170582
v4: http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-05/msg00140.html

>From the looks things the check arrived in v3 but there is no comment on
the patch saying why, nor does any review I found of v2 give a hint. I
had a bit of a trawl through various list archives of the other postings
of the series but didn't spot anything.