[Xen-devel] Re: netback commit history

To: "Ian Campbell" <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: netback commit history
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:10:00 +0100
Cc: DongxiaoXu <dongxiao.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 05:11:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 20.09.11 at 13:26, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 12:04 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> One thing I wonder about in this context is whether the
>> netif_stop_queue() call from xenvif_close() shouldn't happen before
>> xenvif_down() (not the least for reasons of symmetry with
>> xenvif_open()).
>
> I seem to recall looking at that too, it was the same in the old kernels
> too and I didn't know why so I avoided touching it (I was doing too much
> other cleanup at the time to risk it).

After looking further I don't think that would help (though I still think
it would be more correct), as netif_stop_queue() basically evaluates
to a set_bit() without any other locks taken. So it's completely
asynchronous wrt dev_hard_start_xmit() (and its callers, which are
the ones looking at the bit with HARD_TX_LOCK() carried out).

Jan