Re: [Xen-devel] Memory Trace Project

To: Dushmanta Mohapatra <dmpatra@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Memory Trace Project
From: Sameer Pramod Niphadkar <spniphadkar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:42:21 +0530
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 22:12:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Dushmanta Mohapatra <dmpatra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Sameer Pramod Niphadkar
> <spniphadkar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Dushmanta Mohapatra <dmpatra@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am Dushmanta, a fellow CS PhD student at GaTech.
>> >
>> > I also work in memory related areas in virtualization.
>> > I am interested in learning more about this project. So
>> > would you be willing to discuss about your project and
>> > may be other memory related research.
>> >
>> > Please let me know.
>> >
>> > Dushmanta
>> >

>> Hi Dushmanta
>>
>> I'm glad for your interest in this project. I hope you can offer your
>> insights to the same.
>>
>> Well... the idea of page sharing is not very new in systems both
>> physical and virtualized ones and there are different ways/means to
>> implement it. But I thought we could extend the idea of a working set
>> model further more - so as most of us know that identical systems
>> belonging in a particular network and during a time frame might end up
>
> What is network referring to here?

The network is the subnet to which all the physical systems are
connected. In this case the university CS department subnet from which
all the traces are collected. Please ref :
http://traces.cs.umass.edu/index.php/CpuMem/CpuMem

>> accessing similar physical memory frame blocks. (A block here being
>> groups of frames) I intend to find if there is any kind of correlation
>> between this universal time period and the page access.
>
> Also I do not understand what universal time period is referring to?

Universal time is the actual time when the traces were collected

>> I intent to
>> see if the working set analogy can be applied to the entire memory
>> address space for access with respect to a universal time interval. I
>> mean if there exists some sort of a pattern emerging for physical
>> memory access based on time and space.
>>

> Does the entire memory address space refer to memory contents of all
> the VMs?

Yes..and it may not be necessary for the system to host VMs, I mean at
present  we may not care if it does.

> I am kind of guessing that the universal time interval is just referring to
> a time interval over which you analyze the memory access pattern of
> all the VMs and try to analyze them.

The idea here is to do real analysis of memory access patterns over a
period of time. For VMs it may be even more important to do so as most
VMs end up sharing loads of memory. I just want to know if this seems
a feasible project as this would involve loads of randomization with
systems executing many different processes over a period of time and
with each of them having some sort of page caching as well a page
faults.  So the first step here would be see if this seems to be
possible with the aid of some sort of pattern classifying algorithm. I
also hope to find any other research done previously on memory access
using traces.