Re: [Xen-devel] Most up to date blktap2 kernel driver

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Most up to date blktap2 kernel driver
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:20:37 +0100
Cc: Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Stodden <Daniel.Stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 08:21:50 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 15:15 +0100, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:09:10AM +0200, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to port the blktap2 driver to NetBSD using a pure
> > user-space solution.

Thanks! This would be awesome to have. We're interested in taking this
same approach for Linux in the future since (as you've noticed) blktap
is not in the upstream kernel

>  Since blktap is not included in the kernel, I
> > would like to know where I can find the most up to date version of the
> > code, I've seen several repositories that contain blktap2 code, like:
> >
> > http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb/?p=people/dstodden/blktap.git;a=summary
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb/?p=people/dstodden/linux.git;a=summary
> > (I cannot access the tree of this one, I get a 404 error)
> >
> > Whats the best one to fetch to get a current version of the blktap2 code?
> >

> I'm not sure which one is the latest but blktap2 can also be found from:
>
> Jeremy's xen.git branch "xen/stable-2.6.32.x"
> http://git.eu.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=xen/stable-2.6.32.x
>
> and from XenServer/XCP 2.6.32 xenlinux kernel:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/XCP/linux-2.6.32.pq.hg
>
> Daniel (cc) can probably comment..

FWIW I'd probably lean towards the xen.git one but either is probably a
good start.

The Xen backend framework in upstream qemu might also be interesting in
this context?

Does NetBSD have an equivalent of (at least) /dev/xen/gntdev
and /dev/xen/evtchn? I think they are a requirement to make this work.

Ian.