[Xen-devel] Avoiding the use of test signing for the GPLPV drivers for 6

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Avoiding the use of test signing for the GPLPV drivers for 64 bit Windows
From: Moritz Mühlenhoff <muehlenhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:02:21 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 03:04:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
we've been investigating ways to deploy the GPLPV drivers for Windows 2008
w/o the need to activate the test mode (not for strictly technical reasons;
the drivers work fine but some third party applications void their warranty
if run under test mode and the mandatory note on the desktop may lead to user
confusion).

I found a mailing lis thread, where a similar scenario has been discussed
for the libusb drivers. The relevant bits start here:
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/WHQL-Testing-Agreement-and-GPLv3-conflicts-td3335877.html

Microsoft doesn't permit GPLv2 und GPLv3 drivers in their Windows Logo
Program (which is a prerequisite for WHQL certification). However in this
thread someone from Wind River contacted Microsoft and they pointed to the
possibility to sign the driver with a certificate issues by a CA instead of
the WHQL signatures (the full document is attached to the second link):

http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/WHQL-Testing-Agreement-and-GPLv3-conflicts-tp335877p3337666.html
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/WHQL-Testing-Agreement-and-GPLv3-conflicts-tp3335877p3341534.html

In my understanding this certificate would be a SPC certificate
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff552299%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://www.certum.eu/certum/cert,offer_software_publisher.xml

Later on in the thread it's being confirmed that this procedure allows the
installation of the driver w/o popups and activation of the test mode:
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/WHQL-Testing-Agreement-and-GPLv3-conflicts-tp3335877p3339827.html

Is anyone already building and signing  the GPLPV drivers with that procedure?

Cheers,
Moritz
--
Moritz Mühlenhoff                         muehlenhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Open Source Software Engineer and Consultant