[Xen-devel] Re: regression on Xen: 23573 breaks PV on HVM guests

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: regression on Xen: 23573 breaks PV on HVM guests
From: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:34:42 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 04:33:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I would just let you know that I found a regression in the hypervisor:
> > CS 23573 causes PV on HVM guests to hang during boot.
>
> Any details (e.g. state of the guest, messages from the hypervisor)
> that might help finding out what the problem is? I'm not aware that I
> intentionally changed anything behavior-wise in the pv-on-hvm specific
> code

I think that 23573 introduced a problem similar to the one solved by
23550, that is hvm_domain_use_pirq returns a subtly wrong answer.
In any case it is really easy to reproduce: download a recent upstream
kernel tree (3.0.0 is fine), enable CONFIG_XEN, make sure you have:

CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_PCI_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=y

that's all. Try to boot the kernel in an HVM guest and it will hang.