Re: [Xen-devel] hanging tapdisk2 processes and improper udev rules

To: Andreas Olsowski <andreas.olsowski@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Stodden <Daniel.Stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] hanging tapdisk2 processes and improper udev rules
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:07:43 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 07:09:11 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 12:36 +0100, Andreas Olsowski wrote:
> On 07/22/2011 11:28 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > This is because udev and forward/backward compatibility are strangers
> > passing in the night. I presume if you make the recommended change to
> > SYMLINK+= instead of NAME= in your udev script this goes away?
> You assume correctly.
>
> > I posted a patch to fix this "libxl: attempt to cleanup tapdisk
> > processes on disk backend destroy" a couple of times, most recently at
> > http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=131066210526755 but it hasn't been
> > applied yet. Can you try it?
>
> I tried it:
>
> make -j7 tools:
> libxl_device.c: In function ‘libxl__device_destroy’:
> libxl_device.c:253: error: incompatible type for argument 1 of
> ‘libxl__device_destroy_tapdisk’
> libxl_internal.h:321: note: expected ‘struct libxl__gc *’ but argument
> is of type ‘libxl__gc’
> libxl_device.c:274: error: incompatible type for argument 1 of
> ‘libxl__device_destroy_tapdisk’
> libxl_internal.h:321: note: expected ‘struct libxl__gc *’ but argument
> is of type ‘libxl__gc’
>
> My expertise with C is barely existant, but i took a look at
> tools/libxl/libxl_device.c
>
> and changed your
> libxl__device_destroy_tapdisk(gc, be_path);
> into
> libxl__device_destroy_tapdisk(&gc, be_path);
>
> as i have seen some &gc on other lines of code.

That looks right. I think this is just a difference between current
xen-unstable and xen-4.1 (due to 23045:c426a7140c99 FWIW).

> And it compiled.
>
> I then created a guest, shut it down.
> First it kept beeing in a -ps--- state, i wanted to take a look at the
> runing processes with "ps auxww" but the ps process hung itself.
> I could no longer run "ps" successfully after this point.

Uh. That really shouldn't happen :-/ In fact baring a bug in the host OS
itself I'm not sure how ps can ever get into that state...

> syslog showed:
> ul 22 13:00:07 xenturio1 xl: tap-err:tap_ctl_read_message: failure
> reading message
> Jul 22 13:00:07 xenturio1 xl: tap-err:tap_ctl_send_and_receive: failed
> to receive 'unknown' message
>
> Either my hack to get your code to compile was no good or your patch has
> some unforseen side effects.

It's possible that it relies on something in xen-unstable that I'm not
aware of. Would it be possible for you to try and repro this issue with
xen-unstable.hg and this patch?

Daniel, have you got any idea what might be going on here?

Ian.