Re: [Xen-devel] HYBRID: PV in HVM container

To: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HYBRID: PV in HVM container
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:51:00 -0700
Cc: "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:51:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:36:18 +0100
Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 27/06/2011 20:24, "Mukesh Rathor" <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Cheers!! I got PV in HVM container prototype working with single
> > VCPU (pinned to a cpu). Basically, I create a VMX container just
> > like for HVM guest (with some differences that I'll share soon when
> > I clean up the code). The PV guest starts in Protected mode with
> > the usual entry point startup_xen().
> >
> > 0. Guest kernel runs in ring 0, CS:0x10.
> >
> > 1. I use xen for all pt management just like a PV guest. So at
> > present all faults are going to xen, and when fixup_page_fault()
> > fails, they are injected into the container for the guest to handle
> > it.
> >
> > 2. The guest manages the GDT, LDT, TR, in the container.
> >
> > 3. The guest installs the trap table in the vmx container instead of
> >    do_set_trap_table().
>
> To be clear, you intend for this to work with unmodified PV guests,
> right? All of this translation can easily be done in Xen, avoiding
> multiple paths needed in the guest kernel (not really tenable for
> upstreaming).
>
>  -- Keir

Hi Keir,

Actually, I modified the PVops guest.  The changes in the pvops are
minimal and mostly confied to xen specific files. So I think it has
a fair shot of being upstreamed, at least, worth a shot. I will run
them by Jeremy/Konrad and get their opinions.

thanks
Mukesh