Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Xen-devel] No C-States any longer...

To: Carsten Schiers <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [Xen-devel] No C-States any longer...
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:06:38 -0400
Cc: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 06:10:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:03:58AM +0200, Carsten Schiers wrote:
> Thanks for your support.
>
> So the plan is to run the very kernel (2.6.32.40 from Jeremy's git) natively,
> without Xen, and check
> what acpi.debug and my printks are reporting?
>
> Would the other check be to change pr_id from -1 to 0 by some helper code in
> the right place?
>
> Have I correctly understood that my BIOS seems to implement C-States through
> FADT instead of _CST,
> which is ok generally, but the FADT PBLK is not correctly set (maybe because
> it worries about the -1)?

So the FADT PBLK is about this line:
            Processor (CP00, 0x10, 0x00000410, 0x06)

in your DSDT. The 0x0000410 is the PBLK and somehow it is NULL on your box. You
could
run iasl -d on the DSDT to find out what exactly is there.

But I *think* that should not affect the C-states as it is just used for
reserving some
CardBus regions.

> By the way:
>
>   - I dom0_vcpus_pin and restrict Dom0 to only use one vcpu in xend-config.sxp
>   - I used Xen/Debian Squeeze PVOPS Xen Kernel on the Intel Box
>   - The same combo fails on the AMD box, latest PVOPS, too. Further testing
> done with latest PVOPS.

So just so that you don't lose heart - the C states do work on my AMD box.

Interstingly the _PSS states are being reported as non-existent - but on
baremetal
they seem to exist.