RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch] Enable SMEP CPU feature support for XEN itself

To: "Li, Xin" <xin.li@xxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Yang, Wei Y" <wei.y.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch] Enable SMEP CPU feature support for XEN itself
From: "Li, Xin" <xin.li@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 19:54:26 +0800
Accept-language: zh-CN, en-US
Acceptlanguage: zh-CN, en-US
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 04:55:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > The whole point of setup_clear_cpu_cap() is that it only needs to run on the
> > BP and the change gets picked up by every AP automatically as it boots.
>
> Yeah, and we can't do leaf 7.0 detect in generic_identify. Or will again set
> SMEP in
> capabilities, but it should be ok.

I tried to not do leaf 7.0 detect on AP booting code, but system behaves
abnormally
(not hang, but "su -" never returns, after just revert the change, it runs
well).

While at this point I want to focus on SMEP logic, we can make the improvements,
to move such initialization to BP code only, later.  Also it makes no much
sense to only
move disable_smep that way, we should move all such variables.

Thanks!
-Xin