RE: [Xen-devel] Too much VCPUS makes domU high CPU utiliazation

To: MaoXiaoyun <tinnycloud@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Too much VCPUS makes domU high CPU utiliazation
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 07:29:55 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:30:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One possible reason is the lock contention at the boot time. If the lock holder
is preempted unexpectedly and lock waiter continues to consume cycles, the
boot progress could be slow.

Which kernel version are you using? Does a different kernel version expose
same problem?

>One thing to correct, today even I destory B/C/D, domain A still comsume 800%
>CPU for quite a long time till now I am writing
>this mail.

So this phenomenon is intermittent? In your earlier mail A is back to normal
after you destroyed B/C/D, and this time the slowness continues.

>Another strang thing is seems all VCPUS of domainUA, are running only on even
>number Physicals CPUS(that is 0, 2,4...),
>where explains where CPU Util is 800%.  But I don't understand whether this is
>designed to.

Are there any hard limitation you added from the configuration file? Or do you
observe this weird affinity all the time or occasionally? It looks strange to me
that scheduler will consistently keep such affinity if you don't assign it
explicitly.

you may want to run xenoprof to sampling domain A to see its hot points, or
use xentrace to trace VM-exit events to deduce from another angle.

Thanks
Kevin