RE: [Xen-devel] what happens when a PoD page is touched?

To: "Paul Durrant" <Paul.Durrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] what happens when a PoD page is touched?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 19:21:44 +1000
Cc: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 May 2011 02:22:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm almost absolutely positive. What you are describing happens during
crash dumps and I allow for a small number of such errors (although not
enough for ballooned domains probably), but the hibernation file is
compressed so pages are never actually written directly, only the
compression buffers. I imagine that the delay is while it sweeps the
ballooned out area - the hibernate progress never appears to increases
during this time because 3GB of 0's most likely compresses remarkably
well and there is nothing to write to disk

James