[Xen-devel] RE: Crashdump and IOMMU problems

To: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Crashdump and IOMMU problems
From: "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:11:33 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Wei Wang <wei.wang2@xxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:12:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I believe Jan was involved with adding kexec support in iommu code.

As for systematic way to disable active DMA, isn't this similar to OS shutdown
case when all the drivers are unloaded?  Does kexec unload all of the device
drivers?  Once all the drivers are unloaded, there shouldn't be any DMA
transactions going on.

I don't know much about kexec flow but it sound like the high level flow is: 1)
dom0 kernel shutdown all of the device dirver and then 2) call
iommu_ops->suspend() or crash_shutdown() to disable all of the iommu hardware.

Allen