Re: xl/xm save -c fails - set_vcpucontext EOPNOTSUPP (was Re: [Xen-devel

To: "rshriram@xxxxxxxxx" <rshriram@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xl/xm save -c fails - set_vcpucontext EOPNOTSUPP (was Re: [Xen-devel] xl save -c issues with Windows 7 Ultimate)
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:41:55 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 May 2011 01:43:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 00:06 +0100, Shriram Rajagopalan wrote:
> I was testing xl/xm checkpoint with the latest c/s in the repo, 23300.
> neither xl nor xm seem to work. The error code is 95 (EOPNOTSUPP).
>
> Migration works but not checkpointing. While doing a
> xc_domain_resume,
> the "modify_returncode" phase (for suspend_cancel) fails. Tracing
> through
> the control flow, I found that the hypercall for set_vcpucontext
> (in do_xen_hypercall() from xc_private.c) fails with this error code.
>
> I have tested this with a 64-bit 2.6.39 and 32-bit 2.6.18 pv domU.
> Any help would be great.

Are we still talking about HVM guests?

The most plausible looking EOPNOTSUPP from that code is in
xen/arch/x86/domain.c:arch_set_info_guest() but that is on a PV only
path.

There are only a small number of uses of EOPNOTSUPP in the hypervisor
and the rest are all in xen/arch/x86/hvm/hvm.c or
xen/arch/x86/hvm/nestedhvm.c and all are in nestedhvm related functions.
I guess you aren't using nested HVM though?!

Ian.