Re: [Xen-devel] Console is not working with 2.6.38.4 Dom0 and Xen unstab

To: Wei Liu <liuw@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Console is not working with 2.6.38.4 Dom0 and Xen unstable
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:59:33 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 03:01:45 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 05:13:19PM +0800, Wei Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building my development with Debian Squeeze, Xen unstable and the
> latest 2.6.38.4 kernel.
>
> According to Xen wiki page, graphic subsystem is not working with
> 2.6.38 [1], so I disable GDM. I also set up various Xen and Linux
> debug options, now that my grub entry looks like:
>
> --- start of grub config ---
> multiboot  /boot/xen-4.gz com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga
> sync_console console_to_ring loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all noreboot
> lapic=debug apic_verbosity=debug apic=debug iommu=off
>
> module  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.4-liuw+ console=hvc0,vga earlyprintk=xen
> nomodeset initcall_debug debug loglevel=10
> root=UUID=fd49322b-830f-44d2-8bdf-de5c355bb159 ro  quiet
> --- end of grub config ---

You've configured Xen hypervisor (xen.gz) to use the serial port as a console,
do you get XEN output on the serial? If not, the settings are wrong.

For dom0 linux kernel you've specified to use the hypervisor (hvc0) as a
console.
So dom0 linux kernel messages should go to the serial through Xen.

> Another thing I do is setup a serial tty in /etc/inittab, which looks like:
>
> --- start of inittab ---
> s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS0
> --- end of inittab ---

Not sure if you can use ttyS0 from dom0 since Xen is already using it..

> After Xen relinquishes the VGA console, the screen goes black. Serial
> line has some output, but no login prompt is showed.

What output exactly?

> However, I can login with SSH. Everything works fine.

So dom0 starts fine. Just settings are wrong.

> So it seems that the VGA console and serial console are not working
> properly. Any suggestions?
>
> [1] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenPVOPSDRM

-- Pasi