[Xen-devel] keeping track of Intel vmcs

To: "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] keeping track of Intel vmcs
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:58:15 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:59:57 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I always wonder about intel vmcs info tracking when i have to look at
it. Following data structs are used to keep track of it:

static DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct foreign_vmcs, foreign_vmcs)
v->arch.hvm_vmx.active_cpu;
v->arch.hvm_vmx.launched;
v->arch.hvm_vmx.active_list;
static DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct vmcs_struct *, current_vmcs);

It appears to me that it could be lot simpler. All we need to worry about is
if a cpu needs to be launched or resumed. The rest can be concluded
from existing information.  For example, current_vmcs and foreign_vmcs
seems redundant. If current == v, then we can conclude current_vmcs is
current, and forieng vmcs is not current! It seems all we need is
unsetting launched in vmpclear.

Can someone from Intel tell me  what am I missing?

thanks
Mukesh