Re: [Xen-devel] X-server problem using sdl with nvidia graphics

To: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] X-server problem using sdl with nvidia graphics
From: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:58:09 +0000
Cc: Konrad, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:01:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Juergen Gross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for late reply, I was at home for 1 week :-)
>
> On 03/07/11 16:59, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Juergen Gross wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm playing a little bit with Windows domU on Xen. My machine is a Notebook
> >> with a nvidia card:
> >>
> >> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96M [Quadro FX 770M]
> >> (rev a1)
> >>
> >> Xen is Xen 4.0.1 from SLES 11 SP1, Xserver is xorg 7.4-27.19.19.
> >> When I use vnc as console for the domU, everything is okay. Using sdl will
> >> blank my screen as soon as the domain is started and the sdl window should
> >> appear. I can get the X screen again via switching to text console and
> >> back,
> >> but the sdl window isn't there.
> >> Starting the domain with sdl using an external DISPLAY works okay.
> >>
> >> Has anybody seen this problem?
> >> Any ideas how to solve it?
> >>
> >> I tried with nv driver from SLES and nvidia driver from nvidia.com. Both
> >> failed.
> >>
> >> Guest configuration:
> >>
> >> import os, re
> >> arch = os.uname()[4]
> >> if re.search('64', arch):
> >>       arch_libdir = 'lib64'
> >> else:
> >>       arch_libdir = 'lib'
> >> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> >> device_model = '/usr/lib' + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
> >> builder='hvm'
> >> memory = 4096
> >> shadow_memory = 32
> >> name = "Win"
> >> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=extbr1', 'type=ioemu, bridge=intbr1' ]
> >> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda,ioemu:hda,w' ]
> >> boot="c"
> >> vcpus=1
> >> acpi=1
> >> apic=1
> >> sdl=1
> >> vnc=0
> >> vncconsole=0
> >> vncviewer=0
> >> vncpasswd=''
> >> vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
> >> stdvga=0
> >>

> > try adding opengl=0
>
> Doesn't help.

Considering that it looks like an xorg issue or a dom0 kernel issue,
could you try executing any other sdl based programs?
For example 'mplayer -vo sdl <your video>'?
If you can repro the issue with another application we can rule out that
is a qemu-xen bug.