Re: [GIT/PATCH 0/5] Re: [Xen-devel] unfair servicing of DomU vbd request

To: John Weekes <lists.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [GIT/PATCH 0/5] Re: [Xen-devel] unfair servicing of DomU vbd requests
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 09:15:27 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 01:16:22 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 08:40 +0000, John Weekes wrote:
> > Indeed. The following is a forward port of these patches from
> > 2.6.18-xen.hg:
>
> Thanks for working on this, Ian.
>
> I think that this has affected me several times, as I've noticed these
> symptoms before (heavy disk access by a few domains, followed by several
> Windows domUs mysteriously rebooting) -- as recently as Wednesday, in
> fact. The I/O from rebooting domUs, unfortunately, makes everything even
> worse, often leading to further Windows domUs crashing.
>
> I look forward to this being merged into stable-2.6.32. In the meantime,
> I'll monkey around with git as you described and try to get a local
> version working. I'm itching to test it out, since this also might
> explain some of the occasional the longish disk delays that I see on
> machines with a medium I/O load (in which the dom0 still responds
> normally, but one of the domUs frequently stalls waiting for I/O).

This series was for more recent kernels. It seems to backport with
minimum fuss (switch from __this_cpu_(read|write) to __get_cpu_var).

I only compile tested this one file and haven't even booted it but the
result is available on top of xen.git xen/next-2.6.32 at:

The following changes since commit 892d2f052e979cf1916647c752b94cf62ec1c6dc:
  Jeremy Fitzhardinge (1):
        Merge commit 'v2.6.32.28' into xen/next-2.6.32

are available in the git repository at:

  git://xenbits.xen.org/people/ianc/linux-2.6.git irq-fairness-2.6.32

Ian Campbell (1):
      xen: events: Make last processed event channel a per-cpu variable.

Keir Fraser (3):
      xen: events: Clean up round-robin evtchn scan.
      xen: events: Make round-robin scan fairer by snapshotting each l2 word
      xen: events: Remove redundant clear of l2i at end of round-robin loop

Scott Rixner (1):
      xen: events: Process event channels notifications in round-robin order.

Ian.