Re: [Xen-devel] XEN event channel (interdomain communication)

To: "Sankaran Sivathanu" <ssankaran@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] XEN event channel (interdomain communication)
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:51:16 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 01:51:56 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 28.02.11 at 01:02, Sankaran Sivathanu <ssankaran@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please briefly explain the differences between these calls in
> the XEN event channel framework ?  I couldn't find resources that talk about
> these calls..
>
> My goal is simple: send an event from Dom0 to DomU and invoke a handler in
> DomU when an event is received.   I wish to do this in kernel level.. I am a
> bit confused on what calls to use and also about how to allocate port
> numbers.  So it would be really helpful if someone could tell the purpose of
> these calls..
>
> bind_caller_port_to_irq
> bind_listening_port_to_irq
> bind_listening_port_to_irq
> bind_interdomain_evtchn_to_irq

These are internal helper functions for the below ones.

> bind_caller_port_to_irqhandler

You have an event channel (local to your domain) at hand and
want to use it within the kernel's normal interrupt handling
infrastructure.

> bind_listening_port_to_irqhandler
> bind_listening_port_to_irqhandler

You want to obtain an event channel (bound into the kernel's normal
interrupt handling infrastructure) that you can pass to a remote
domain for communication.

> bind_interdomain_evtchn_to_irqhandler

You were given an event channel from a remote domain to
communicate with it, and want to use it within the kernel's normal
interrupt handling infrastructure.

Jan