RE: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable on OL6 (RHEL6 clone) problems

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable on OL6 (RHEL6 clone) problems
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:55:55 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:00:54 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Pasi!

> Dunno if this helps: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/RHEL6Xen4Tutorial

Actually I meant to mention in the original email, yes
this WAS very helpful, thanks very much for writing that
or I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did.

However, I am trying to install xen-unstable rather than from
rpms so this is Xen 4.1 (rc) not Xen 4.0 and I think that's
where my problems are.

> > /sys/class/net/virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory
>
> > I'm guessing that I have to manually set up some
> > network bridges that I never had to deal with before, but
> > don't have any idea how to do that.
> >

> Yep, when you use xl toolstack you need to set up the bridges yourself.
> The recommended way in el6 is to use /etc/sysconfig/network-
> scripts/ifcfg-br* scripts.
> Those are documented in the user manuals.
>
> Something like:

Yep, did that both on an OL6 machine without Xen installed and
an OL6 machine with Xen-4.1-rc3 installed (built from scratch).
The bridging looks to be working fine on the machine without Xen.
On the Xen machine, I am still seeing a long sequence of

/sys/class/net/virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory

and that directory shows up fine with "ls -l".  That message
also shows up many times with "brctl show", so I suspect something
in the Xen install/startup is changing something that is confusing
something.  Or it is possible I committed some pilot error elsewhere.

Thanks for the help!
Dan