Re: [xen-devel][RFC] xl disk configuration handling

To: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [xen-devel][RFC] xl disk configuration handling
From: Kamala Narasimhan <kamala.narasimhan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:19:33 -0500
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:21:18 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to :cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=d5vatuR8vsfe+qRDhz3A2ODNO/YZ1sGNA9uOMwXLiNI=; b=WU0Xw9O1Dvrw2xadCXpf+iB/VaHKhnBSSYF69UxkP/WRCLV6bdv9FXJFHJvBMvw0Xm CzlVcFV0p9mMMWZz2q9B0mU1yB1Rdk2j3eODcrKscqEKMNgxVFDGgSL4mdcW/wnCYumi Rw3zt2xGWOKTXZUWAbb6/rBOOKZRacRl2Kq34=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I agree that libxl_disk_phystype expresses both the format and the
> backend type in a single confusing way, so there should be two enums:
> one for the format (libxl_disk_format) and one for the backend type
> (libxl_disk_pdev_type).
I will switch to two enums instead of three.

> However I don't think libxl_disk_impl_type should be exposed at all, it
> should be up to libxl to decide whether AIO should be enabled or not. It
> might be useful to let the user disable the PV interface for a
> particular disk (that is what ioemu stands for), but it is too late for
> 4.1, let's just ignore ioemu for the moment.
Ok.

> The backend types should be BLKBACK, TAPDISK2, and QEMU; TAPDISK refers
> to blktap1 that is not supported by libxl. However libxl uses "tap:" as
> backend string corresponding to TAPDISK2, I understand that might be
> confusing but I wouldn't change it now.
> Also it might be useful to retain the EMPTY format among the various
> libxl_disk_format's, it should reduce the overall amount of changes.

EMPTY, an indicator that there is no media in the cd-rom drive didn't really go
with the any of the enums which is why I removed it.  But later when I was
changing code I did find it inconvenient to check for both empty path plus
cdrom, so I will add it to disk format types though I am really not sure if it
belongs there.

> it would be nice if all the renaming was done in a separate patch so
> that the real changes are easier to read

I was worried you may not accept a patch with just renaming changes!  I could
separate interface changes (which would include renaming) from parsing and send
them as two separate patches. Would that be ok?

Stefano - I did go through your comments on a subset of code here but as I
mentioned in my earlier email, please ignore that code for now as I was going to
modify it anyway.  It was mostly to help understand the places that require
change plus for the code to compile.

> do we really need to change the parsing function that much? I
> understand there are significant changes but this is a total rewrite.
> I am concerned about all the bugs we might find later after the
> release...

This is one change I would really like to go with.  Not only does it help with
the changes we needed, it also gets rid of code duplication.  With this change
block-attach can rely on the same parsing code (that is once I submit the
block-attach changes patch).

> I would completely ignore "aio:" here.
> I would also ignore "ioemu:" the same way.

This redundant logic in block attach for parsing will be gone and disk parsing
logic will be reused.

Kamala