[Xen-devel] FLR support in xl tool stack

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] FLR support in xl tool stack
From: "Kay, Allen M" <allen.m.kay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:08:03 -0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Horsten <thomas.horsten@xxxxxxxxxx>, Konrad, 'Ross Philipson' <Ross.Philipson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:11:04 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In xm tool stack, there is a function called do_FLR() located in
python/xen/util/pci.py that takes care of issuing FLR to passthrough PCI
devices.  This function is responsible for looking at the device and figure out
the most appropriate way to reset the device (PCI/PCIe FLR, secondary bus
reset, etc...).

In xl tool stack, I see there is a libxl_device_pci_reset() in
libxl/libxl_pci.c that suppose to do the similar thing.  It references
/sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/do_flr and tries to write something to it.
However, pciback driver in 2.6.32.27 pvops kernel does not seem to have this
do_flr functionality.

Is this something being worked on but not checked in to pvops dom0 kernel yet?

If not, I would prefer implementing all of the do_FLR() functionaility in libxl
and not to depend on pciback driver given it is not part of the upstream
kernel.  This will make using newer kernels such as 2.6.38 much easier.

Comments?

Allen