[Xen-devel] Seg fault running xl create with 4.1.0-rc2

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Seg fault running xl create with 4.1.0-rc2
From: M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:37:05 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:38:20 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If I run xl create configfile where configfile includes the lines
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
disk = [ 'file:/dev/mapper/vg0-partname,xvda1,w' ]

then xl segfaults at the line
    ret = strdup(dev);

of libxl_device_disk_local_attach() in tools/libxl/libxl.c . The problem is that dev is not set if libxl__blktap_enabled(&gc) is false or if phystype isn't recognized. In the latter case I presume we want to skip that line and return NULL, but if libxl__blktap_enabled(&gc) is false we should be returning something, at least in the case where phystype=PHYSTYPE_FILE, so that we can fall back to qdisk. I think something like the attached patch (not yet tested) should work.

        Michael Young