RE: [Xen-devel] AMD crash on restore. bug in MTRR restore.4.0.2-rc2-pre

>>> On 27.01.11 at 04:49, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> By saving the sysenter msrs in my PV drivers before the suspend
> hypercall and restoring them after, save/restore now works fine.
>
> Does nobody else see a save/restore failure on AMD as a blocker to
> 4.0.2? It it something particular to my exact AMD CPU and OS (Windows
> 2008 x32)?

The 32-bit-ness of your Windows may matter: Looking at
xen/arch/hvm/svm/svm.c, I cannot see how
v->arch.hvm_svm.guest_sysenter_* would ever get set
in this case (given that the intercept for the respective MSRs
gets disabled in svm_update_guest_efer()), yet
svm_vmcb_save() reads this field unconditionally, whereas I
would think v->arch.hvm_svm.vmcb->sysenter_* should be
read/written in that case.

That code seems to go back to c/s 19856, fixing a boot
problem introduced in c/s 19648, which is the one that
removed the reads of the VMCB fields. Christoph?

Jan