Re: [Xen-devel] How to get guest PTEs info of a HVM with EPT

To: KennyChen <windtracekimo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to get guest PTEs info of a HVM with EPT
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:44:37 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:45:10 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 02:50 +0000 on 20 Jan (1295491817), KennyChen wrote:
> When EPT is enabled for a HVM guest, is that possible for hypervisor
> to get the PTE information of guest page table? e.g, R/W, Supervisor
> flags?

Yes, of course - you know the guest's CR3 value and you can map all its
memory so you can read its pagetables.  Look at hap_gva_to_gfn() and
how it calls guest_walk_tables().  You can even do it from userspace
in dom0 - see xc_translate_foreign_address().

What you can't do easily without shadow paging is _control_ the
pagetable values.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team