Re: [Xen-devel] regression from c/s 22071:c5aed2e049bc (ept: Put locks a

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] regression from c/s 22071:c5aed2e049bc (ept: Put locks around ept_get_entry) ?
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 16:24:23 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:39:32 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=Ig/X02xbXxRB59IAikXOVV+TYpUBntNYlUX6WHeoEww=; b=t3yXW4BP705wpAm1cOKqU5dHgMK6sb9MAywn1L9e/b8rnHB1oQ4AlJadJZeO4ournY INTOD58P2AjeonimctKLIvyxV9N/8uMMos5zglnRu5aNtwgcXmLKtqkf9UFZJ7pj7w1J eKcZmd423CBQdAeM9Uxq1GRJydSDEI/w0DsCA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry for the delay in responding; I caught a bad cold, and was in no
state to comment on making lockless races benign. :-)

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> George, I think the underlying logic is still racy - the
> check-and-populate function is checking a pointer that was found outside
> the lock.  It needs to start again from the beginning to be safe, which
> probably means just dropping the "check" part and letting the
> p2m_pod_demand_populate handle lost races.  Also, why doesn't
> ept_get_entry use a single read at the lowest level?

My main goal when I wrote this patch was to fix a bug our testing
found that was going to slip a release, and then move on to other
pressing issues.  So I'm sure there's more raciness to clean up in
here that just isn't triggered generally.  I think you're right,
dropping the check and doing it in p2m_pod_demand_populate() is
probably the Right Thing to do.  I've got that stack of patches to
deal with in January, I'll work on it then.

 -George Dunlap