[Xen-devel] Backport requests for 4.0

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Backport requests for 4.0
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:41:56 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:43:08 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Having searched through the changelogs, these three changesets apply
cleanly to 4.0-testing and should IMO be backported unchanged:

  changeset:   22425:d6c2695f05eb
  user:        Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  date:        Tue Nov 23 19:29:13 2010 +0000
  files:       tools/Makefile
  tools: fetch remote changesets when force refetching/resetting qemu

  changeset:   22381:2bedffabbcab
  user:        Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  date:        Tue Nov 09 18:15:25 2010 +0000
  files:       Makefile tools/Makefile
  tools: provide explicit target for refetching/resetting qemu

  changeset:   22153:95c90bd63aed
  user:        Matthias Klose <doko@xxxxxxxxxx>
  date:        Tue Sep 14 17:46:21 2010 +0100
  files:       tools/python/xen/util/bugtool.py
tools/python/xen/xend/XendBase.py tools/python/xen/xm/main.py
tools/python/xen/xm/xenapi_create.py
  tools/python: Replace python string exceptions with ValueError exceptions

The bug fixed by this changeset seems to exist in 4.0-testing and it
would be helpful to backport it there because it fixes a stochastic
test failure.  But it doesn't apply cleanly, so I or Stefano will have
to prepare a backported version:

  changeset:   22552:1800f15da48a
  user:        Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  date:        Thu Dec 16 17:39:24 2010 +0000
  files:       tools/libxl/xl_cmdimpl.c
  tools/xl: fix race which can leave an xl monitor processing hanging

There was an awful lot of work done to libxl.  I think the version of
libxl in 4.0 is best regarded as a technology preview and I don't
think we should try to backport even important bugfixes.  It's either
that, or try somehow to import 4.1's libxl wholesale (which would be
awkward, given libxc changes).

Ian.