[Xen-devel] Re: x2APIC emulation for HVM guest

To: Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: x2APIC emulation for HVM guest
From: "Yang, Sheng" <sheng.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:43:48 +0800
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:44:26 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 02 December 2010 13:31:09 Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 03:09 AM, Yang, Sheng wrote:
> > This patch would enable Xen to handle x2APIC MSR accessing of HVM guest,
> > which is faster(avoid decoding of MMIO accessing). The credit comes to
> > Gleb Natapov who complete the work for KVM.
>
> Compared to Gleb's patch, I think yours is missing support for directed
> EOI in the LAPIC emulation.  Linux doesn't use it, but I think it's easy
> enough that it's better to do it early.

I think we can do it step by step. This patch is big enough. And also, directed
EOI is indicated by one bit in APIC version register, so it won't affect us
here.

I'd like to work the direct EOI patch out, but I am thinking about how to test
it...

--
regards
Yang, Sheng