[Xen-devel] Questions about xenoprof cpu support (intel xeon x5650, mode

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Questions about xenoprof cpu support (intel xeon x5650, model# : 44)
From: "Chulmin Kim" <cmkim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:33:21 +0900
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 19:34:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, All.

Currently, I’m trying to use xenoprof in my environment (intel xeon x5650, 2 socket, 6core/socket, model#: 44, westmere).

According to the source code of xenoprof, my cpu is not in the supported list.

So, currently, only timer mode is available for me.

However, I need some information of my vm’s behavior such as cache misses which can be obtained in the NMI mode.

I saw a document saying that all the pmu hardware event of my cpu is same with i386/core_i7 .

Thus, I added my model number like below.

static int __init ppro_init(char **cpu_type)

{

        switch (cpu_model) {

        case 15: case 23:

                *cpu_type = "i386/core_2";

               break;

        case 0x2e:

        //cmkim

        case 0x2c:

        case 26:

                spec = &op_arch_perfmon_spec;

                *cpu_type = "i386/core_i7";

                break;

        ….

        }

}

In the xen source code, I changed similar path with similar way to set my cpu model as i386/core_i7.

Now I’m possible to run NMI mode in my xen environment.

However, I cannot see any event received by xenoprof.

Opreport and log file always return that there is no event captured.

Does anyone has solved or patched this issue? I cannot find anything related with it. (Naresh posting wanted to get the solution, however it was ended with no solution at that time.)