RE: [Xen-devel] xen pv windows drivers unnutended install

To: <v.tolstov@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xen pv windows drivers unnutended install
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:58:34 +1100
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:59:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hello. I'm succeseful install latest windows 2008 r2 data center edition
> and xen pv drivers (gplpv_Vista2008x64_0.11.0.238.msi). After that i
> have two questions:
> 1) Why in windows 2008 xennet does not copy network config from xen domU
> (ip address of netwrok interface) like in 2003 server?
>
> 2) How can i integrate xen pv drivers into windows 2008 install cd? Does
> some body write instruction baout it, or i need to do things, like in
> windows Xp unnutended install?

Further to my previous email, I just remembered that Windows 2008 and Vista use
1.7 of KMDF (Kernel Mode Driver Framework), and GPLPV uses 1.9.

When no KMDF is installed (eg 2000, XP, 2003), the installer installs its
version of KMDF and then the drivers can run (a reboot is still required to
activate them of course)

When the same version or newer of KMDF is already installed (7 and 2008R2 both
use 1.9) then the drivers can run.

When an older version is already installed, KMDF must be updated, then the
system must be rebooted, then the drivers can run. This means that when the
installer runs, a reboot is required before the xennet driver can start up and
so no network config can been installed yet, and then another reboot is
required before the drivers can take control of the system and disable the qemu
network and disk devices.

I'm not sure what this means for integrating GPLPV into Windows Vista and 2008,
as you'd need to make sure KMDF is installed too.

James