RE: [Xen-devel] Allow the backward time syncing in domU.

To: "Yi, Shunli" <syi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Allow the backward time syncing in domU.
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:50:21 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 11:51:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If time is allowed to jump backwards on ANY computer system, bad things can happen.  Consider a “make” where the source file is edited after a backwards-time-jump but before time catches up to when the object file was last generated.  The “make” process would get VERY confused.  There are many cases like this where programs assume that time is monotonically increasing and would fail miserably if time jumps backwards.

While one cannot stop a sysadmin from causing time to go backwards on dom0, it would be a bad idea for this sysadmin error to be propagated to all guests.  I think this is the purpose of disallowing backward time syncing.