[Xen-devel] RE: How to generate a HW NMI

To: "Jan Kiszka" <jan.kiszka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: How to generate a HW NMI
From: "Roger Cruz" <roger.cruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:56:03 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 06:59:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jan,

I will try your suggestion of turning off SMIs.  I am also interested in you conducting an experiment for me.  If you can, please tell your kernel not to use any CPU power saving modes.  In Xen I use max_cstate=0 in the bootline.  I have found that when I do this, the hangs appear to go away (we had one customer report one since using this work-around, so it is not 100% working).

Thanks
Roger