Re: [Xen-devel] Instability with Xen, interrupt routing frozen, HPET bro

To: "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Instability with Xen, interrupt routing frozen, HPET broadcast
From: Andreas Kinzler <ml-xen-devel@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:42:54 +0200
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 02:43:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 30.09.2010 07:00, Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
Maybe you can disable pirq_set_affinity to have a try with the following patch.
> It may trigger IRQ migration in hypervisor, and the IRQ migration logic about(especailly shared)
> level-triggered ioapic IRQ is not well tested because of
> no users before. After intoducing the pirq_set_affinity in
> #Cset21625, the logic is used frequently when vcpu migration occurs

I am using Xen 4.0.1 which is c/s 21324 so I should not be affected?

> Besides, there is a bug in event driver which is fixed in latest
> pv_ops dom0, seems the dom0 you are using doesn't include the fix.
> This bug may result in lost event in dom0 and invoke dom0
> hang eventually.

Hmm, this really does not explain why everything is rock solid after disabling HPET broadcast? And the problem occured with every kernel (xenfied, pvops, all versions). Please correct me if I am wrong.

> To workaround this bug,  you can disable irqbalance in dom0. Good luck!

As far as I know I am not using irq balancing (certainly not using the irqbalance daemon).

Regards Andreas