[Xen-devel] Performance numbers on PV-on-HVM

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Performance numbers on PV-on-HVM
From: Jagadish Nadimpalli <jagadish.nadimpalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:54:31 +0530
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 23:25:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I measured network performance with netperf on PV-on-HVM:
Guest Kernel is taken from git://xenbits.xen.org/people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git.
Xen hypervisor is taken from http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2478501.
Dom0 Kernel is taken from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jermy/xen.git and switched to stable branch xen/stable-2.6.32.x).
The Kernel configuration is taken from http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.32.21-pvops-dom0-xen-stable-x86_64.

The tutorial mentioned that the Kernel configuration has debug enabled and there will be a performance hit but I first wanted to get the setup UP and get some performance numbers(I will get the performance numbers by disabling the debug parameters in Kernel config and I will let you know those performance numbers). With the above combination, I am able to get the PV-on-HVM guest up and running.

My machine has the following harware configuration.
(1) Chipset - Intel 82Q35
(2) Processor - Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Performance setup:
The dom0's Ethernet interface is connected to LAN. The netserver is running on another host that is connected to LAN. The netperf client is running on the PV-on-HVM guest. So, we are measuring performance from PV-on-HVM guest to a host on LAN. Using netperf, the performance numbers in Mbps are 723, 719, 703, 735, 709, 733 for 6 trails.

Are there any published performance numbers with PV-on-HVM guest? I want to compare my numbers with the published ones.

Thanks & Regards,
Jagadish