Re: [Xen-devel] Error on creation of Event channel (17= file_exists)

To: Carlo Maiero <zesster@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error on creation of Event channel (17= file_exists)
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:30:13 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:31:18 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 22/09/2010 16:23, "Carlo Maiero" <zesster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2010/9/22 Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> On 22/09/2010 15:37, "Carlo Maiero" <zesster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> and i create a successful way to create the channel.
>>> but when i shut down the process in dom0. when i try to restart it.
>>> It says: ERROR: failed to bind to VIRQ_XENINI port (17= file_exists).
>>>
>>> what i have to add when i close the program?
>>
>> If your original process really is dead and had no children, then the
>> kernel's evtchn device driver should have unbound the event channel when the
>> file handle on the driver was released. So restart should then work okay. If
>> it's not working then it's potentially a kernel driver bug. What dom0 kernel
>> are you using?
>>
>>  -- Keir
>>
> Restart works fine, i'm using debian 2.6.26-xen-686. So i'm not closing
> properly the program?

Looking at kernel linux-2.6.18-xen (others will have something similar) the
driver is implemented in drivers/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c and the function
evtchn_release() deals with closing of a file handle. You can see it
iterates over all event channels and unbinds all of those which were
associated with the handle being released. So, either your process is not
closing properly, or that shutdown logic in the kernel driver is not doing
its job properly in the particular kernel that you are using.

 -- Keir