[Xen-devel] Has Anyone Been Able to Run PVOPS DomU Against any nVidia Ch

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Has Anyone Been Able to Run PVOPS DomU Against any nVidia Chipset?
From: "John McDermott (U.S. Navy Employee)" <john.mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:53:56 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:54:36 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xen Developers,

This has already been posted to Xen-Users, but  I got no response.

Short version: has anyone been able to run a 2.6.32.18 PVOPS domU, on Xen
4.0.1, on Fedora 13, against any nVidia chipset? I'd like to know which chipset
please.

Long version:

I have encountered what appears to be an interesting video or DRM problem with
this combination.   Dom0 runs X11 without problems but this combination will
not run X11 as dom U. While attempting to install Fedora 13 dom U as an HVM,
using a 2.6.32.18 PVOPS dom0, running on Xen 4.0.1 on Fedora 13,  using
virt-install --nographics, it reaches the point following the XML display of
the boot guest configuration, reports an

(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid argument

error and then hangs with garbage displayed on my remote xterm console.
(Virt-install --vnc dies also.) My serial console shows a bunch of hypervisor

(XEN) HVM2: int13_harddisk: function 41, unmapped device for ELDL=81

and then some

(XEN) vlapic.c:702:d2 Local APIC Write to read-only register 0x30

error messages.

I can get a pvops domain U to install --nographics, but the resulting guest
cannot start X and fails with the same "(EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOBLANK: Invalid
argument". No hypervisor error messages are generated by this failure.

I have tried to get this kernel-hypervisor combination working on 2 different
boxes:

1)  a Dell Precision 690 with an Intel E6320 processor (I don't think this is
the issue) and an nVidia Quadro NVS 285, which X11 reports as nVidia NV 44.
Plain old Fedora 13 uses the nouveau driver with no problems. Udev tells me it
is version 153. The problem remains even with the kernel booted nopat.

2) a "roll-your-own" with EVGA X58 SLI motherboard / Intel i7 combination, with
an nVidia GEForce 9800 GTX+, which X11 reports as nVidia G92. Again, plain old
Fedora 13 uses the nouveau driver for this, without problems. Trying a pvops
domU gives me the same behavior: Fedora domU installs and runs fine, but cannot
start X11.

I have tried this against 2 kernels: Jeremy's e6b92c and Michael Young's
2.6.32.21-167.xendom0.fc13.x86_64. (The latter fails in video during kernel
boot, when I use init=/sbin/upstart, but boots OK without it, but then fails to
run X on domU's.) When building these kernels, both complain about missing the
nouveau module at depmod time.

Before I go swapping cards or outright buying one, has anyone run this pvops
combination against any nVidia-based graphics card? Does pvops require an ATI
chipset? Has pvops been run against an onboard Matrox chipset, as on a server?

Sincerely,

John
----
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J.P. McDermott                          building 12
Code 5542                                       mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       voice: +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, US        fax:   +1 202.404.7942