RE: [Xen-devel] Queries on Filesystem Support

To: ash win <ash_win012006@xxxxxxxxx>, tmem-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Queries on Filesystem Support
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Chris, Kurt Hackel <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mason <chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Mccracken <dave.mccracken@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:38:05 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ashwin --

Yes, the Linux-side tmem support is specific
to certain Linux filesystems.  For an explanation
of this, see FAQ #2 in:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/3/383

Vasiliy is correct that ext3, ext4, btrfs, and ocfs2
are currently supported.  Other filesystems should
be easy to add, but must be extensively tested.
The xfs filesystem would be next, but I haven't
tried it.

As you know, tmem supports ephemeral pages and
peristent pages.  In Linux these are called
"cleancache" and "frontswap" (as the Linux patches
are layered so they can be used for functionality
other than tmem).  Cleancache works for any clean
pages that are "evicted" by Linux, so this may
be code or data pages, but only "mapped" pages
(i.e. pages that are obtained from disk or match
pages that have been written to disk).

If many VMs on the same host share a clustered
filesystem, the entire ephemeral pool corresponding
to that filesystem is shared.  If the VMs do not
share a clustered filesystem and "tmem-dedup" is
enabled, identical pages are deduplicated.  Since
ephemeral pages in tmem are essentially read-only,
this is different from classic "transparent page
sharing".

Thanks,
Dan